Taking a close look at the development of buildings over time is such a wonderful starting point for architecture and engineering.
The following titles are perfect for your young architect…
- Architecture According to Pigeons by Speck Lee Tailfeather
- Iggy Peck Architect by Andrea Beaty
- Rosie Revere Engineer by Andrea Beaty
- Walk This World by Jenny Broom
- From Mud Huts to Sky Scrapers by Christine Paxmann
- The Story of Buildings by Patrick Dillon
- All the Buildings in New York: That I’ve Drawn So Far by James Gulliver Hancock
- Lego Architecture: The Visual Guide by Philip Wilkinson
There are also some apps which encourage building, such as Toca Boca Builders and Minecraft. Oh Minecraft, you are amazing, but also a little too addictive for our School Boy, so we have to have very strict time limits.
This year, we plan on looking at buildings in our community and sketching them as we sit and spend time in the city or capturing them with a digital camera to view at home. We hope to create a little journal of buildings, which inlcude acts such as architect, date of build, etc. There’s so much to take in once you start to notice the details…